Thursday, April 30, 2009

Murder in Baku

I woke up this morning to read about the shooting in Baku today. Several other blogs from Azerbaijan have noted this event. While sometimes it seems that the population of the United States is inured to such events - which seem to happen almost weekly this spring - in Azerbaijan such crimes are genuinely shocking.

As a foreigner who lived and traveled in the country for a year, I have to say that it seemed to me one of the safest places I've been. Of course, traffic was quite dangerous, but even those drivers were usually not as crazy as they seemed.

I am very sorry that the country now has to experience such tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with my Azerbaijani friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. I was totally shocked that this happened in Azerbaijan. Gun violence just doesn't seem like something to worry about there...